Accessory dwellings are new to many people, so one of the most important features of this site is a collection of stories about real accessory dwellings: how they came to be, and how they’re working out.
If you’ve got an accessory dwelling of your own, we’d love to publish your story. Look at the stories on the site, then think about your own project. What’s the story behind your accessory dwelling and how is working now? The best kind of story would provide a mix of personal and factual details that could help guide other homeowners in their brainstorming and decisions. Any or all of the following kinds of info would be helpful:
- What did you build? (basement apartment, backyard cottage, etc)
- Do you have any photos or drawings of the place you would like to share? (really useful)
- Why did you get started on this? (money, family changes, etc)
- Where did this happen? (country, city, neighborhood)
- How much did it cost?
- How did you pay for or finance it?
- How long did it take?
- How is the place used now? (as an apartment, office, bed and breakfast, etc.)
- If you had to do it again, is there anything you would do differently?
If you’re interested, contact the editors of this site by leaving a comment below. We’ll get back to you promptly. Thanks!